Sunday, August 14, 1977

Suspected .44 Killer’s Father Term Himself a Victim, Too

“I will live with this heartache for the rest of my life.” Speaking at an outdoor news conference in a light rain, Nathan Berkowitz, a 68 year old gray haired former Bronx hardware store owner, said in a voice choked with emotion:

“If what I read is true, I would like to say to all those families that have lost children, and have had children injured, I deeply grieve for you with all my heart. If David did these things, I don’t expect you to forgive him, as this would be too much to ask. All of those people who have known David and me – we, too, are victims of this tragedy.”

Nate wore tinted glasses, an orange jacket and a yellow golf hat which he subsequently removed. He sat at a table that was placed outside the new State Supreme Court Building with tears streaming down his face.

Sobbing uncontrollably, he lowered his head and put a hand to his face. The entire statement took 3 minutes and 15 seconds for him to read. One observer said it seemed like hours.


Excerpt from Leonard Buder Aug 14, 1977 New York Times

No comments: