Tuesday, June 07, 1977

Second Letter From .44 Slayer Has Police Chasing 4 Nicknames

The special police unit investigating the killer who calls himself Son of Sam was striving yesterday to find the source of four bizarre nicknames the killer used in a second letter.

The letter from Son of Sam, who has killed five people and wounded three others, all with the same .44-caliber pistol, urged the police to check on “The Duke of Death,” “The Wicked King Wicker,” “The Twenty-Two Disciples of Hell,” and John Weaties’ - rapist and suffocator of little girls.” The killer suggested in his letter, sent to the columnist Jimmy Breslin that the names be forwarded to the inspector (presumably Timothy Dowd) who is in charge of the investigation for use by the NCIC.

Addressing himself to Mr. Breslin, the killer continued: “J.B. I’m just dropping you a line to let you know that I appreciate your interest in those recent and horrendous .44 killings. I also want to tell you that I read your column daily and find it quite informative.”

“Perhaps we shall meet face to face some day or perhaps I will be blown away by the cops with smoking .38s. Whatever, if I shall be fortunate enough to meet you I will tell you all about Sam if you like and I will introduce you to him. His name is “Sam the Terrible.”

PS JB, please inform all the detectives working on the case that I wish them the best of luck, “Keep ‘em digging, drive on, think positive, get off your butts, knock on coffins, etc.

Upon my capture I promise to buy all the guys working on the case a new pair of shoes if I can get up the money. “Son of Sam.”

Excerpt from Molly Ivins June 7, 1977 New York Times

No comments: